Thursday 3 January 2019

Chickens in my Kitchen

Activities in my home are generally organised chaos,  frequently not organised by me.  I share my space with two horses, three dogs, a Siamese feral farm cat , a bearded dragon, OC Duck and his two lady friends, Brown Hen, two younger hens known as The Girls, White Hen (originality prevails) and the Illegal Immigrant, a rather good looking rooster.   This does not include the variety of wild inhabitants which add their own individual stamp on the ambience of our home.

Each member of the household has a very distinct personality,  however today we will concentrate on those with feathers.  O C Duck has an attitude which far exceeds his size and ability for rational thought.  He is obsessed with chasing Gemma the Jack Russel who for the most part canters just out of reach.........however at times he is so overcome with the desire to protect his lady friends that he will make a determined bee line across the garden,  and through the house in pursuit of Gemma.  The location of his ladies is of little concern whilst he is in pursuit.

Preparing to launch home invasion.





The hens on the other hand are far more controlled.  Brown hen who is at least six years old believes my home is an extension of the garden.  She will wander though checking to see what is available to snack on.  The Illegal Immigrant stands at attention on the front verandah furniture and the dog house at the back...........this allows him to survey his surrounds and loudly proclaim his existence.  However let dinner be late and I have a tribe of feathered creatures standing in my kitchen to remind me that my timing is tardy at best.

The gift of these creatures is their presence and that they are present either engaged in defending duck maiden's honour, checking for snacks and cuddles, chasing insects,  leaving me beautiful feathers to draw and collect and communicating constantly.  They remind me to pay attention to my environment,  often making me laugh out loud at their antics.  Well except when Gemma dashes through my legs rapidly followed by a substantial duck,  that is not a dignified sight!!!!!!!!  I find myself marvelling at the intricate nature of feathers,  experiencing the warmth of a freshly laid egg against my cheek, being stared down by a hungry chicken...........those beady eyes take no nonsense!!

When you allow yourself to experience consciously the numerous little marvels,  they all add up to something special.  The healing gift of using your senses to experience your world,  getting out of your head and into the moment.  Laughter and inclusion.

I am grateful for chickens in my kitchen.

Not impressed at being locked out!!!

Etching of my feather gifts.




No comments:

Post a Comment